ANIMALS

I’m A Vet And Here’s Why You Should NEVER Take Your Dog To The Beach

A vet has issued a serious warning to dog owners about the hidden dangers posed to their pet pups at the beach.

As summer gets into full swing, trips to the ocean are once again back on the schedule – but according to one veterinarian, those seemingly carefree visits to the beach could end up turning into a nightmare if your pooch is brought along for the ride.

Writing for VetsNow, professional vet Laura Plyforth advised dog owners to take serious care when visiting a beach with their pets, warning about the myriad of dangers that could be lurking in the sand and the sea.

From blocked intestines caused by sand ingestion to deadly toxins found in dead fish, Laura revealed a host of terrifying risks that your pup could face if taken to the beach this summer – while also sharing her top tips for how to protect your dog against these dangers.
Laura explained that dogs can accidentally eat sand on the beach while playing fetch and picking up toys or sticks with their mouths – and while this might not seem like a major issue, too much sand can actually cause serious medical problems.

She notes that eating sand – whether on purpose or by accident while picking up toys and balls – can ’cause a blockage in the intestine, which is called sand impaction’.

‘Signs of this serious condition, which requires urgent veterinary treatment, include vomiting, dehydration and abdominal pain,’ she explains.

Laura also urges pet owners not to allow their dogs to eat any washed up dead fish at the beach because they might ‘contain potentially deadly toxins’, which – although rare – can be fatal to pups.

She also advises that dog lovers do not let their pets consume any sea water, which contains ‘salt, bacteria and parasites that can make them sick’.

To prevent dogs turning to the ocean to quench their thirst, she suggests ensuring that you have ‘plenty of fresh water’ to give them throughout the day – noting that you can also use it to wash your ‘dog’s skin and paws’ at the end of the day to avoid any irritation.

Another hidden danger to keep an eye out for are ‘discarded fish hooks’ which dogs are often attracted to as a result of their ‘shiny’ appearance and ‘tasty bait’ that might still be attached to them.

‘These can cause nasty injuries if embedded in their mouth, food pipe or stomach. Dogs can also suffer paw injuries from standing on fish hooks,’ Laura warns.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button